Monday, May 2, 2011

Making Tracks For Celiacs


As you all probably know I have a gluten allergy. I found out 3 years ago this month that I could no longer be the pasta inhaling machine that everyone knew and loved. After 2 days of eating gluten following like 2 months of a gluten free diet my doctor had me get a blood test. Normally, I guess people are supposed to eat gluten foods for a full week before the test but I was miserable and my grandma didn't like seeing me like that so my dr tested me early. My results came back as a low positive for it. Basically, what I was told was "I can send you for the biopsy to make it official and then you can never eat gluten again or I can spare you that and tell you not to eat gluten anymore" I opted for the less painful. I'm not big on needles or any sort of procedure. Then last year I moved to Binghamton for school and was so freaking poor that I was eating gluten because I didn't want to ask my family for help. *GROSS STORY* I ended up vomiting A LOT of blood and spent the better part of a weekend in the hospital getting my digestive tract examined, you can use your imagination to figure out how they did that... ugh. So after all of that it was confirmed, Celiac Disease.

I'm telling you this because this morning James and I signed up for the Rochester, NY Making Tracks For Celiacs walk! There is no minimum distance that you have to walk so I won't feel like a failure if I don't finish because of my back/knee pain! Plus it's obviously a cause I believe in. I'd LOVE to someday be able to pay 50 cents for a loaf of sandwich bread instead of $6! Our team is called the Silly Yaks! Corny? Maybe, but I love it. I'm looking for donations of any size so researchers can try to find a cure/treatent. If you want to donate you can do it HERE. I set a group goal of $200 but I'm hoping to far pass that!

I also want to make tee shirts for me and James. He doesn't know this yet though :-P I have an idea of what I want but no artistic talent. I just want a goofy drawing, nothing fancy. So if you're up for the challenge let me know, I'd love your help!

As I end this entry I'd like to give a shout out HUGE thank you to the people who are reading my blog! Especially the ones in the United States, Iran, Russia, Germany and Canada! I have the most views from these countries. You guys are awesome and I totally appreciate you guys taking the time out of your day to read about my life. Leave me a comment sometime.

That being said, I hope all of you in EVERY country have a fabulous night/morning/whatever it is where you are now! Oh, and GO SILLY YAKS!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment